Sunday, February 3, 2013

FUN DESIGNING HOME QUILT TOP BLOCKS

Designing  12"x12" Quilt Blocks for a Home Quilt to hang in my studio. This English Cottage is my favorite so far
I'm using different fabrics or combination of fabrics on each one.


I plan to use some black or dark navy fabric on each one for continuity and use black strips between the blocks.  This is the first block I created, using the block below as a guide.

This precious and "Neat"  Mini Christmas Quilt Block was made for me by blogger friend, Ellen on ellengetscrafty blog in 2011. I will include it in my quilt also.

Here are three blocks in different stages. I form the 3+layer foundation (back fabric which also wraps around as it's binding, low loft batting in the middle and a variety of top fabrics) Then I machine stitch(regular stitch allover it, using different styles on each fabric)  It is so fun picking out the different fabrics for backround and house and trees!  Hope you'll give this a try. Making just one for a mini wall hanging or pillow top would give you a taste of the experience!

6 comments:

lousnewsandcraftycreations said...

Lovely Marlynne.
Xx

Sandra Kaye said...

super cute Marlynne!!! Send me one that measures 8x10...and I will send an art quilt that size ...I have made back to you :):)

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

I'm in love with these Marlynne! This is exactly the kind of thing I want to learn how to do! I must get over my fear of the sewing machine!!!
Let me know if you ever "set up shop", and start selling single ones. Or, if I win the lottery possibly I could hire you to make me a whole quilt! LOL
REALLY loved this post! :)
Erica

Unknown said...

Great blocks Marlynne, what fun!
Hugs Marilou

Unknown said...

I've always loved these quilt blocks that make a picture or tell a story. Yours are lovely.
Dorothy

Anne said...

Hello, Marlynne,my Dear! I've come to you from The "Grow Your Blog" party...it was over before I knew about it, but it was so nice of Vicki to leave the list up! Anyway, I always welcome new blogs to enjoy, and yours is delightful! I am now following you ~ please come and visit me if you get a chance!
So nice to "meet" you!
Hugs,
Anne